Monday, January 4, 2021

Crafting Transparency


 So, I've been thinking about reviving my crafting blog. I haven't knit much since the last posts in this blog (which are... what, seven years ago?) but I have been crocheting a whole bunch. I'm starting to get more requests for commissions again. Interestingly, I've been reconsidering how I charge for projects. 

I got to thinking about it and realized that materials x2 really is absurdly low for hand-made things. I found an app that tracks time in monetary values. I realized that my calculating brain was going into overdrive. 

I'm going to start listing my projects here and assigning prices to them based on a few factors:

  • material costs 
    • surcharge for difficult yarn
    • discount for sustainable yarn
  • pattern complexity
  • workshop time
    • swatching
    • learning the pattern
    • working out illogical factors and mistakes
  • crafting time
    • time taken to crochet or knit
  • finishing time
    • weaving in ends
    • assembling pieces
    • stuffing 
    • attaching buttons or other findings

From these factors, I'll give an asking price and, if it's a commission, a settled price. I feel like this would be useful for other crafters who have questions about how to price their handiwork. 

 

Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment